One of the book series we read is the Coffehouse Mystery series by Cleo Coyle. The main character runs a fashionable NY coffeehouse, and the author knows her stuff. If there is anything you ever wanted to know about coffee, you will learn it reading these books, I do not jest. At the end of each book is a list of coffeehouse recipes. Today I am making the fictional coffee sleuth’s (Clare) Cappuccino Muffins. Anything with with 2 varieties of coffee in it must be good (and yes they are).
The Dry Team:
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp dark roast ground coffee
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 1 cup finely chopped almond or hazelnut
- 1 tspn orange zest (about half a small orange)
The Wet Team:
- 1 stick butter (soft)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup espresso or double strength coffee (cooled)
- Oven 375. Prepare cupcake pan with liners.
- Combine dry team. Mix to ensure no chunks of cocoa or brown sugar. (yes, throw coffee grounds into it).
- Mix wet team with hand mixer.
- Pour wet team into dry team. Mix until smooth, do not overmix.
- Scoop into baking cups. These are muffins not cupcakes, fill them to the top or just below.
- Bake 20-25min. Until toothpick comes out clean.
The “Froth” for the Cappuccino Muffins:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tspn vanilla
- 1/2 stick butter (soft)
Use hand mixer on butter in a med bowl. Mix in other ingredients until smooth (this is icing, it will be relatively thick).
As an added coffee garnish, I added a mini espresso chocolate as the crown.
There are many other coffeehouse/coffee inspired recipes on the Coffeehousemystery website.