Another recipe from the Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook. This is part of my Summer Cajun Cooking event. I did a fair bit of adjusting to this recipe, so I will list my version, based off of this recipe.
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1 small tomato (or 3 campari or roma)
- 1 cup sliced okra (or 1 can, NOT pickled)
- 2 can chopped or whole clams with juice
- 1 cup fish stock ( you can use bouillon)
- 2 tbsp seafood seasoning (Old Bay)
- 1-2 tbsp Cajun Hot sauce (Tobasco or similar)
- 1/2 tspn cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds large shrimp (peeled, deveined, no tail)
- 1 pound spicy sausage (precooked)
- 1/2-1 tbsp File powder as needed to thicken
- Make Roux. Melt butter in large heavy pot/dutch oven on med-high heat. Add flour and continuously stir for ~15 minutes. Mixture will begin to darken to a reddish brown colour. That is the gumbo starter. It must be mixed continuously like pudding, do not burn.
- Mix in ingredients 3-14. Cover and Reduce to Low. Simmer 20min.
- Uncover, continue to cook for at least 15 min. Add File powder as needed to help thicken it a bit. (add 1/2 tbsp anyway, it does add a bit of flavour.
- Serve in a bowl over rice =)